Who doesn’t love cereal milk? For us, it’s one of the most nostalgic flavours. Alyssa and I weren’t allowed sugary cereal as kids, so we always got excited when we had sleepovers at friends houses who had wonders like Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes. While the cereal itself is so so good, the milk is by far the best part. We used to pour so much extra milk in our cereal just so we’d have extra to drink on our own. So, we thought we would create a scenario where we could shamelessly just drink the cereal milk. And if we made it a latte, it immediately becomes more sophisticated. So here we are.
This bevy was the official drink pairing for our special weed brownies. Because it’s the ultimate stoner food.
The instructions below are for a hot cereal milk latte, but this is also delicious served iced. Just omit step six and pour over ice instead.
- 1 cup of your favourite sugary cereal. We recommend Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Trix, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Count Chocula
- 1 cup of milk or milk alternative
- 1 shot of espresso (alternatively you can sub in extra strong coffee or tea, filling the cup 1/3 of the way full)
- Fine strainer
- Milk frother or hand blender
1. Combine the cereal and milk into a bowl and let sit for 5-7 minutes.
2. Pass the cereal and milk mixture through a fine strainer into another bowl. Gently press the cereal to get out as much milk as possible.
3. Add the cereal back into the milk and let sit for another 2-3 minutes, then repeat step two.
4. Eat or discard the soggy cereal.
5. Make your espresso (or strong coffee or tea).
6. If you have a milk frother, use it to heat and froth the milk. If you’re using a hand blender, add the milk to a small pot and heat over medium heat while also using the hand blender to slowly froth it. Remove from heat when it begins to steam, but before it begins to boil.
7. Add the espresso to your mug (if using strong coffee or tea fill 1/3 of the way). Top with the frothed cereal milk. Garnish with cereal.