We love infusing spirits. If you read this blog frequently, and you should, then you’ve seen our Cedar Sour (one of our favourite cocktails of all time), as well as our DIY spiced rum and raspberry infused gin. They’re all winners, so we thought we’d add another infusion into the mix: chai whisky.
We recently made our own chai tea blend so we could get the spices just right. We were so proud of the end result that we wanted to find other uses for it. We started by making chai lattes and then went on a pursuit to make a delicious chai tea cocktail.
We can conclude that this infusion is also a winner. The chai flavours are prominent, so we wanted to create a cocktail recipe that would be simple enough to let them shine. So, we went with a simple whisky sour, using both lemon and orange juice as orange and the spicy flavours of the chai are a match made in heaven.
For the chai infused whisky:
- 26 oz bottle of Wiser’s
- 1 tsp of loose leaf black tea
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into 6-8 smaller pieces
- 8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
For the cocktail:
- 2 oz of chai infused whisky
- 1 oz of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz of honey simple syrup
- 1 egg white
- Star anise for garnish (optional)
- First make the honey simple syrup by adding equal parts honey and water to a small pot and heating over medium heat until the honey has dissolved. Set aside and cool.
- Next, add the egg white to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 8-10 seconds
- Add the ice, whisky, lemon and orange juice and honey simple syrup to the cocktail shaker and shake again for another 8-10 seconds.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and top with star anise.