I know what you’re thinking: the old fashioned can’t get any better. Well, don’t be so rigid until you take a sip of this baby. It’s a perfect holiday cocktail – it’s slightly sweet, nutty and a little spicy too. We’ll take one, or three.
Chestnut syrup is what makes this drink super special. If you haven’t tasted chestnuts before they’re definitely worth trying. The consistency is dense and chewy, it’s different than other nuts – you either love them or will take a hard pass. But regardless if you’re a fan of the nut on it’s own, the syrup is so delicious and easy to make it will definitely become a new Christmas tradition.
- 2 oz rye whisky
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1/4 ounce of chestnut syrup (you can grab the recipe here)
- 1 orange peel
- In a cocktail shaker combine chestnut syrup, Angostura bitters, rye and the orange peel.
- Shake vigorously before straining into a rock glass.
- Garnish with the orange peel and cheers.