Get on Trend with our DIY Pom Pom Accessories
This pom pom DIY is actually our second one together. When we were in 7th grade, we made our own pom pom necklaces. And they were…interesting. I don’t want to say hideous, but they were teetering on that line for sure. But we thought they were crazy cool at the time, which is good because we really needed the confidence to pull it off. I wish we had photos to share, but this was when during the time when you had to develop photos. So you’ll just have to envision it.
But accessorizing with pom poms is super hot right now, so we thought we’d play that game again too. We’ve been seeing it all over Pinterest, and in stores too. We found it hard to find a plain tote bag for this DIY – because they all literally already had pom poms on them. But, luckily I found one in my closet just waiting to be pom pom’d.
This was a really fun, easy activity and at the end you get a sweet new accessory. Plus, it’s super budget-friendly.
To make the pom poms:
To create some badass pom pom creations:
- Glue gun
- Faux Leather Sides – here’s the ones we used, from Ardene’s
- Woven tote bag – you can order one off of Amazon here.
- Straw hat, like this one on Amazon
Start by making your own pom poms. So grab that yarn and let’s get started.
1. Wrap yarn around your fingers. Depending on the size of the pom pom you want, you can use two, three or four fingers. The more you wrap the yarn around your fingers, the fuller the pom pom will be. We used two fingers, which worked well!
2. Cut the yarn and then cut a piece that is about 12 inches long. Pretty much, you just want enough to tie around the yarn and then have some excess. Then, insert the end of the yarn between your fingers.
3. Now, pull the yarn through to the other side. Use the tip of the scissors to help you push the yarn through your fingers.
4. Wrap the yarn around through the tips of the fingers.
5. Tie a knot.
6. Carefully slide the yarn off of your fingers. Pull the the yarn tight once it’s off your fingers, to ensure it’s secure. Now it’s time to cut your yarn. Slide your scissors into the loops and cut. Do this all the way around the pom pom, making sure it’s nice and even.
Now time to jazz up some accessories. This is the easy part, we promise. You can use anything, but we opted for shoes, a hat and a tote bag. First, determine where you want the pom poms to be fastened. Then, get out your glue gun, put a dollop of glue on the back of the pom pom and press down to secure. Voila!
What drink could me more fitting for pom pom crafts than bubble tea? We’re talking balls on balls here. We made our own bubble tea at home for the first time and share everything you need to know about it here.
Pom Pom Love
These sweet tunes will get your pumped for crafting.Click Here to Start Listening!