If you’re stumped and trying to picking out a gift for your friend or colleague, you can never go wrong with a candle. And while Bath and Bodyworks has got the candle game on lockdown, (especially those 3-wick bad boys) ones that are homemade are even better.
As part of our DIY gift #SundayFunday, we made these DIY candles with different essential oils like balsam and sugar plum. They’re cute and easy to customize for that special someone.
- A double boiler (or you can make one using a deep pot and stainless steel bowl – here’s a better explanation)
- Wax (you can even use old candles!)
- Pre-waxed wicks with tabs (150mm / 6” – these measurements will become apparent once the options are in front of you.
- Essential oil, any kind you want (use 1 oz per pound of wax)
- Hot glue gun
- Mason jars or cans
1. Grab your hot glue gun, and glue the wicks to the bottom of the mason jars or cans and press it down firmly into the centre.
2. Get the double boiler going and add the wax or old candles in small pieces. Heat up over medium heat until the wax is completely melted.
3. Once the wax is melted it’s time to add the oil. Add 1 oz of essential oil per pound of wax.
4. Let the wax cool slightly and carefully pour into your mason jar or can. As you pour, make sure your wick stays centered. You can do this by holding the wick, but if you don’t have a steady hand pouring the wax then you can use pliers to hold the wick in place. Place the candles in a warm place to cool, trying not to disturb them so they set evenly. Cooling slowly and completely will create the best looking candles – and you’ll want these guys to be beauties.
5. Allow your candle to cure for 48 hours undisturbed before burning. Then, dress these guys up with ribbons.
We made the perfect cocktail to enjoy during the process: our DIY spiced rum and eggnog. Our spiced rum has no added sugar so this is a much less sweet version of the classic Christmas bevie. You can grab the recipe here.