As Canadians, were big fans of David’s Tea. If you’ve never been and you’re a tea lover, you’ll feel like a kid in a candy store, we promise. They literally have over 100 teas and bring in new ones often. The company started in Canada, but they now have U.S. locations too if you’re south of the border. For anyone else, I’m sure David’s will dominate your country soon.
One of our all-time favourite teas of theirs is Forever Nuts. It’s part of their permanent collection so we drink it all year round, but our consumption always increases as fall approaches. It totally ushers in the season for us. Made with almonds, dried apple bits, cinnamon bark and beetroot (which gives it that beautiful red hue!), it’s an herbal tea that’s naturally a bit sweet and straight up delicious. It also tastes as good as it smells, which isn’t always the case with teas. We think about eating it with a spoon often.
We’ve always wanted to use this tea in a cocktail. So, when it came time to create a drink pairing for our DIY picture frame wreaths, we knew it was time. We tested out a couple of different recipes, but in the end we settled on a simple one: rye whisky, Amaretto, fresh OJ and Forever Nuts tea. And it is SO GOOD. The Amaretto brings out the natural almond flavour in the tea and the OJ pairs nicely with the cinnamon and beet root. The end result is the essence of sweater weather.
- 1 oz of rye whisky (we used JP Wiser’s)
- 3/4 oz of Amaretto
- 1 oz of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 oz – 4 oz of Forever Nuts tea (either hot or chilled), which we made using 3 oz of tea in 16 oz of hot water in 95℃/200℉ water
- Start by steeping the tea in a tea pot or in one big mug (or multiple small mugs if you don’t have one big enough). Let steep for 5 minutes. If you’re serving the drink cold or room temperature (we prefer it hot) then you can set the tea aside to cool before diving in to the next steps.
- Build the drink in a mug (or rock glass if serving chilled). Add the rye whisky, Amaretto and orange juice, top with the Forever Nuts tea (we recommend 3-4 oz but this is based on the size of your mug and how potent you like your cocktails).
- Garnish with an orange slice and serve, bracing yourself for the huge amounts of praise coming to you.