Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and we wanted to create a cocktail worthy of the occasion. There was a couple of boxes this cocktail needed to tick. It needed to be beautiful, be pink or red, have super romantic vibes and be a tad special.
We’d like to think our creation really hit the mark. We call it Love Potion #9 and it’s a twist on a gin sour. It’s got gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg whites and pomegranate juice.
In addition to pomegranate juice giving our drink that much coveted red hue, the fruit is also a prominent player in aphrodisiac lore. Pomegranate’s are known as a culinary symbol of Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty. To add to the mystique, some say the forbidden fruit of the Bible was not apple at all, but a pomegranate. Make sure to bust out this fun fact while you’re sipping on this bevy with your drinking partner.
Now, none of us tend to go over the top for Valentine’s Day, but we do like to make that special person in our life feel loved. To do this, it’s all about the details. What makes this cocktail worthy of Valentine’s Day is that it’s garnished with rose petals. It’s totally what adds that “wow” factor and will make your valentine know you went the extra mile (you might just get lucky tonight as a result). And if this drink doesn’t make them feel special, pair it with a personalized romance novel – we guarantee this will do the trick.
- 2 oz of gin
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz of pomegranate juice
- Half of one egg white (hopefully you have a drinking partner and can throw in a whole egg white for two drinks)
- Cocktail shaker
- Small rose petals (optional, for garnish)
- Add a handful of ice to your cocktail shaker followed by the gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and egg white.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a champagne glass.
- Top with pomegranate juice and garnish with small rose petals.
- Feel the romance in the air as you take your first sip.