Have Crazy Amounts of Fun Building Sandcastles
It was time for a beach day, but we were also feeling crafty so we took on the challenge of creating an epic sandcastle.
Making sandcastles totally take you back to being a kid again, except they’re more fun as an adult because you’re better at it and you can drink during the process. I don’t know why there aren’t more people partaking in this activity.
We recommend initiating a sandcastle-making competition to take your #sundayfunday to the next level. Trust us, people will get really into it. You could also wager a bet to make it really interesting. We suggest winner buys dinner or a round of drinks at the bar.
- Pails, at least two for scooping sand and water
- Shovel for scooping
- Sculpting tools, we used a spoon and fork – you may think this is weird but it works!
- Accessories, we used sanded glass and seashells (which are not abundant in Canada, we got ’em at the Dollar Store)
If you’re going the competition route, establish teams of at least two people. Then, set a time limit and any ground rules. For example, are there any restrictions for materials that can be used? Do they need to be sourced on the beach only? You decide how strict you want to make it.
When it comes to the actual sandcastle making we are definitely not experts (as you can see). What we do know is:
- Dry sand does not a good sandcastle make. It’s key to keep the sand you’re using wet by constantly pouring water over the area you’re scooping from, or create a water hole that you keep refilling. The key takeaway here though is that you can never have too much water. The excess water will just drain out so when in doubt, soak it.
- Start your castle with a dense mound of sand that’s tightly backed. If you’re base isn’t strong then you’re doomed!
- Be patient. Towers and mounds may fall and that’s ok. Know that your creation is probably not going to look like this (but if it does then maaaaaad props).
There is a very, and I repeat, VERY comprehensive guide to building sandcastles here that’s worth a read. It’s got tips for tower-building, combining structures, arches as more. If you’re able to pull any of those off you’ll feel like a pro (and we definitely want to hear about it).
A hot beach requires a refreshing cocktail – and boy do we have the perfect recommendation for you: Sex on the Beach. It’s a classic cocktail that will not disappoint. You can get the recipe here.
Catchy, feel-good tunes worthy of your epic sandcastle adventure.Click Here to Start Listening!