Hocus Pocus is officially 25 years old this month, can you believe it?! We’re commemorating the anniversary the best way we know how: with a drinking game. We love movie drinking games, so brace yourself for more of these in the future. If you haven’t done a movie drinking game before, then buckle up – you’re about to enjoy this cult classic in a whole new way.
When making a movie drinking game, it’s best to pick a film you know so well that it’s easy to make the rules. It can also get pretty rowdy, especially when you have a big group, so it helps to know the dialogue and plot line like the back of your hand. For these reasons, Hocus Pocus was hands down our top choice for this. Runner’s up included Casper, Scream, The Craft, Addams Family and Beetle Juice.
Like many others of our generation, we grew up on this film. Fun fact: Alyssa and I were so scared watching this film in theatres for the first time, that we made our parents leave! We were six, and clearly not ready for Bette Midler. Watching it as adults, there are some moments where I totally get why I was so freaked out. First off, they ruthlessly kill a little girl within the first 10 minutes of the movie and then turn an attractive pre-teen boy into a cat. Sidenote: this was one of the only movies I watched as a kid where I was not jazzed on the lead actor. Max had his moments, but he wasn’t crush-worthy. Could they not have gotten Devon Sawa for this? Come on.
- Hocus Pocus – this is actually one of those films you may still have on VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray, but if not you can grab a copy of the 25th anniversary edition here.
- Hocus Pocus drinking game rules – download ours below.
- Drinks – we’re coming at you with a suggestion below, or you can cut to the chase here for our Hocus Pocus cocktail recipe
- Snacks – we have a pretty good movie night snack mix recipe here
Then, make your first drink – grab the recipe for our Hocus Pocus Witch’s Brew here (OR, for a video tutorial, check out our Instagram Reel or this Tik Tok) Then, settle in on the couch and press play. You might wanna make a pact to wear sweats for this one.
You also might want to take it to the next level and get into costume like we did (pics below!).
Looking for other spooky activities, games or cocktails? Check out some of our other ideas and recipes below:
- How to Throw an Epic Halloween Party
- The Ultimate List of Halloween Cocktails and Shots
- Our 31 Favourite Scary Movies
- How to Host an Addams Family Dinner Party
- Scream Movie Drinking Game
- Zombie Baby Pumpkins
- How to Host a Virtual Pumpkin Carving Competition
- Host a Halloween Trivia Night (with a free 50-question download!)
This is the perfect playlist for continuing the fun after the credits wrap.